Have you heard of Only After Dark? It is a compilation of songs from the Rum Runner Days, released by none other than John and Nick!
Essentially, the album recreates a night at the Rum Runner, and for those of us who weren’t lucky enough to experience the club—the album served as the next best thing.
In 2000, John and Nick chose 50 tracks for a 4-hour radio show called “A Night at the Rum Runner”. The 18-track CD was released on this day in 2006 and even had some photos included in it’s gatefold sleeve that were from Paul Edmond’s book Duran Duran Unseen.
- Being Boiled – The Human League
- Computer Game – Yellow Magic Orchestra
- Always Crashing in the Same Car – David Bowie
- Sister Europe – Psychedelic Furs
- Changeling – Simple Minds
- Only After Dark – Mick Ronson
- Underpass – John Foxx
- Warm Leatherette – The Normal
- The “In” Crowd – Bryan Ferry
- The True Wheel – Brian Eno
- Are Friends “Electric”? – Tubeway Army
- Robots – Kraftwerk
- I Feel Love – Donna Summer
- I am the Fly – Wire
- Shot by Both Sides – Magazine
- Private Life – Grace Jones
- Passenger – Iggy Pop
- Slow Motion – Ultravox
If you want to hear the tracks, and experience the Rum Runner groove from back in the day, I found the Only After Dark playlist on Spotify.
If you happen to find yourself in the UK – you might want to check out the Only After Dark club nights, organized by David Wright. I had the opportunity to go to one in 2011, and to this day it remains one of my happiest memories from that trip. Only After Dark is celebrating it’s tenth anniversary this year, and they’re doing it in style with three very special club nights! The first is happening on June 29th and features a guest-DJ set from Martyn Ware. You can find updates on Only After Dark club nights on David’s twitter @DavidWrightOAD. I highly recommend following him and going to one of his club nights – they are incredibly special.