Before beginning, this is a reminder that the list is made in jest! It’s meant to be fun, it’s really not meant to talk anyone out of going (except maybe to remind me, the author, of what would be waiting for me if I should get tempted. *wink, wink*)…it’s all in fun, which we so desperately need from time to time. Go ahead and chuckle, no one will take your Duranie card away, I promise!
10. IT’S A FESTIVAL!! This means shortened set lists. I’m a big believer in a full set list, especially when we’re talking about Duran Duran.
9. THE LINE-UP!! I’m not going to lie here. There are a ton of bands in this lineup that I don’t know, and quite honestly – don’t care a thing about. Yeah, tell me all about how I should broaden my horizons, and I’d agree – but I’d sooner start doing it in the comfort of my own home.
8. PORT-A-POTTIES!! I don’t think you’ve really lived until you’ve had to wait over an hour to be able to utilize a port-a-potty, and yes – they really are everything (and more) that you’ve worked them up to be in your mind. The trouble here is that I’ve already been there, done that….AND I’ve waited up to 9 hours before finding a facility just so that I didn’t lose my place in the crowd of hell waiting for the band to play. (see #3 below….)
7. LACK OF FOOD!! Seriously, do you think you’re going to leave the crowd waiting for the band to perform in order to grab some grub?? Think again….unless you do what I did for Inland Invasion back in 2003 and sit in the very back, which is not a very Duranie place to be when the band is onstage!
6. THE SUN!!! This festival is out just past Palm Springs, people. It’s nothing for temps to be over 90 degrees (F) during that time of year, and it happens regularly. If you don’t think you’re going to be dying for shade for at least part of the day, I’ve got real news for you. Yeah, you may have been lucky one year, or for even a FEW years….eventually luck runs out and then what? SPF 50 won’t save your soul here…
5. TOUR TIME IS COMING!! This is where I’m placing my bets this year. I’ve heard all sorts of things about how the band can’t/won’t play an LA date due to this Coachella festival. I have no idea if any of it is true, but MY cards are on the UK this year. Anything else for me is a bonus…especially if it’s not a festival!
4. TWO WORDS: MOSH PIT!! I went to Voodoo in New Orleans when Duran Duran played there. My cohorts and I thought we were so smart. We didn’t pay for those silly old VIP tickets, we just got there early, spread out a nice blankie to hang out on and wait the day out in. All was good until the band before My Chemical Romance came on. Then suddenly we were inundated with people….and even better, when My Chemical Romance *did* come on, the pushing, shoving and crowd surfing started. All of my GA stance skills were put to the test that day, and I’m sorry to say they sorely failed me. I was kicked, punched, shoved and scratched. All in the name of a mosh pit and crowd surfing. Hey, I’m alive to tell all about it though, there is that. 🙂
Here’s some photographic evidence of the joy that was the beginning of our day (I’m not actually in this photo -which means I’m likely to upset a few people by posting this…including my writing partner, Amanda…that’s OK. I’ll take the risk):
3. THE CROWD!!! For somethings, only pictures will suffice. This was shortly before My Chemical Romance started if I remember correctly:
2. SWEAT!!! Call me a purist, but I just don’t think that the sweat from someone else’s armpit should EVER be smooshed across another persons face unless he or she specifically requested said smooshing. (smooshed and smooshing are in fact words, mainly because I said so, thank you.) Yet another joy of festivals that I have lived through and am now able to joyfully share with my reading audience. Oh, and in case there’s some question here – no, I did not request the smooshing, and no, I did not know the person who did it. However, I did introduce myself to them afterwards, just because I felt that if we were going to start sharing bodily fluids freely – it was high time to do so. 😀
1. ANOTHER TWO WORDS: HAMSTER BALL!!! Until the day arrives that Simon puts himself into a hamster ball like the one I have pictured here and starts walking over the audience – I’m not bothering with another festival. When he gets the ball going, let me know – I want to be there to take pictures of that nonsense!
And now, in true Nick Rhodes fashion – I will turn all of my “my glass of vodka is half empty” into reasons why Coachella is *the* place to be for the band!! (If you’re wondering why I keep referring to Nick – it’s because he is truly the King of PR Spin for this band. Need evidence? Watch every video and interview leading up to the release of Red Carpet Massacre.) I aspire to spin as well as Nick. If the band doesn’t work out, I’m thinking PR would be a good back up plan….
Top 10 Reasons why every Duran fan SHOULD be at Coachella!!
10. ITS A FESTIVAL!! It’s a really big concert over three days. If that’s not a party….what really is?!?
9. THERE ARE A LOT OF BANDS THERE TO DISCOVER!!! While we all know Duran Duran is *the* band on the bill, there are a lot of other bands to listen to, learn about and listen to when they’re in the studio for 5 years working on the next album!
8. PORT-A-POTTIES!!! Who needs bathrooms – you need something quick, and there will be tons of those port-a-potties available. Grab yourself a Depend and be on your way, man! Besides that, who needs to take time out for that sort of thing and lose your place in the masses?? Start limiting that fluid intake now…..
7. FOOD? WHO NEEDS FOOD??!! As Amanda and I well know, food isn’t necessary. It’s all about the music!!
6. IT’S A DRY HEAT!!! No really, it is. You won’t even notice that it’s 90 degrees outside when you’re amongst 80,000 of your new best friends anyway.
5. THE TOUR IS COMING – IT’S THE BEGINNING OF SUMMER FOR THE BAND!! Nothing marks the beginning of summer like a festival, and this one marks the beginning of the tour! What a great way to “warm up” for fans than to play in front of a huge, welcoming crowd at Coachella, that way they’ll be ready to go when they start playing regular concert dates!
4. TWO WORDS: MOSH PIT!!! How many of you have actually seen a mosh pit at Duran Duran show? Here’s your chance!! 😀
3. CROWD!! There’s nothing that will energize the band more than looking out and seeing 80,000 people screaming for them. What a great place to share that energy! The band needs that after being in the studio for so long!
2. SWEAT!! What is sexier than sharing sweat amongst new friends – and what could possibly be more entertaining for the band than looking out and seeing that sort of craziness going on? It’s like a massive sweat orgy…
*trying to cast aside THAT visual….*
1. THE POSSIBILITY OF SEEING SIMON IN A HAMSTER BALL!!!
Ok really. Who doesn’t want to see that? I don’t believe you. 😉
See, all in fun!?! If you didn’t at least crack a smile don’t blame me. Go get yourself a sense of humor. Have a good weekend everyone – I hear tour dates are imminent so next week is liable to be a barrage of “What?!? Why are they playing __________ and not ____________” (there might even be cursing involved….)