Tomorrow will be the last day that the daily question will focus on Duran Duran lyrics. Over the last few months or so, our questions have asked fans about which songs feature the best lyrics and then what are those fabulous lyrics. Let me offer a recap of the results. First, what song has the best lyrics on each album, according to our voters?
- Self-titled: Careless Memories
- Rio: New Religion
- Seven and the Ragged Tiger: The Seventh Stranger
- Notorious: A Matter of Feeling
- Big Thing: Do You Believe in Shame
- Liberty: Serious
- The Wedding Album: Ordinary World
- Medazzaland: Out of my Mind
- Pop Trash: Someone Else Not Me
- Astronaut: What Happens Tomorrow
- Red Carpet Massacre: Falling Down
- All You Need Is Now: Before the Rain
- Paper Gods: What Are the Chances
- B-Sides: Secret Oktober
Now, I wouldn’t be me if I didn’t stop to analyze those results. First thing I noticed when I glanced at these results is how often more of the ballad-type songs were chosen as the ones with the best lyrics. Some examples of that include the Seventh Stranger, Do You Believe in Shame, Ordinary World, Falling Down, etc. The other way to say that is the more upbeat or rockier songs were often not chosen with the exception of Careless Memories. The second thing I noticed is that frequently the songs chosen were the most well-known songs from the album. There are many examples of this like Someone Else Not Me, Serious, and Ordinary World. My last big observation is probably the most interesting one. Over time, people have talked about Simon’s lyrics and how they used to be really obscure and poetic. Frequently, that statement is followed by the idea that those types of lyrics are missed. Many of those songs were not not chosen. For instance, the Chauffeur wasn’t chosen. There are a lot more poetic lyrics than Someone Else Not Me on the Pop Trash album, in my opinion. It seems to me that people prefer those lyrics that they can relate to easily.
Let’s take a look at the lyrics chosen from those songs:
- Careless Memories: “On the table, signs of love lies scattered”
- New Religion: “I might just be right this time (searching for the undeniable truth that a man is just a fool)
- The Seventh Stranger: “Echoes growing in the heart of twilight”
- A Matter of Feeling: “Steal away in the morning, love’s already history to you”
- Do You Believe in Shame: “And it may seem selfish now but I’ll hold on to the memory until all this fear is washed away”
- Serious: “Don’t worry if you’re confused, we all tend to be sometimes”
- Ordinary World: “Still I can’t escape the ghost of you”
- Out of my Mind: “Without you what’s left to believe”
- Someone Else Not Me: “The hardest thing is to let go”
- What Happens Tomorrow: “There are times we punish those who we need the most”
- Falling Down: “Why has the sky turned grey”
- Before the Rain: “Lost hearts and words that are spoken to the wind”
- What Are the Chances: “Is it out of choice that you’re next to me or just the aftermath of moments as they pass”
- Secret Oktober: “And smile when the butterfly escapes the killing jar”
As of right now, we don’t know what lyric will be decided to be the best. There are three lyrics left that people are choosing from, including the favorite lyric from Do You Believe in Shame, What Happens Tomorrow or the Seventh Stranger. It will be interesting to see which one will win.
After that, we need to make a shift. We have been focused on words for a long time. It is time to appreciate the visual, the image, the videos. While we have asked about favorite videos before, this time, we want to know which video is the sexiest, the funniest, the most clever, etc. What should we ask when it comes to the videos? Is there a question we should be asking? If so, please let us know. I, for one, am looking forward to the next set of questions!