As I type this week’s Duran Duran history highlights, I am listening to the rain coming down. This week, in Wisconsin, we have had a lot of rain as the trees are starting to sprout leaves, the grass is turning green and flowers are popping up all over. Yes, Spring is definitely in the air, bringing in a sense of renewal and hope. Did this week in Duran history also give a sense of new beginnings? Let’s check it out.
- John Taylor’s Techno for Two released in Japan in 2001. Anyone own this album? I remember that it was hard to get and often costly.
- Duran Duran played at Nottingham Arena in Nottingham, England in 2004.
- In 2011, the band played National Auditorium in Mexico City as part of the All You Need Is Now Tour.
- Concert sequences for Arena filmed in Oakland in 1984.
- In 2005, Duran Duran appeared on the Conan O’Brien show as part of the Astronaut Tour promotion.
- The band played at Barclays Center in Brooklyn in 2016 as part of the Paper Gods Tour.
- Duran Duran played at the Oakland Coliseum in 1984 as part of the Sing Blue Silver Tour.
- In 2005, the U.S. part of the Astronaut Tour ended by playing at Madison Square Garden in New York City.
- The Dr. Who episode, Cold War, aired with Clare singing Hungry Like the Wolf in 2013.
- Duran Duran played at the Fox Theatre in Ponoma, California in 2011. I believe that Rhonda was there!
- John Taylor had a book signing in Copenhagen in 2013. Did anyone attend that one?
- In 1982, Duran played at Thebarton Town Hall in Adelaide, Australia.
- The members of Duran Duran were special guests on YouTube presents. The band was interviewed and it streamed live on Duran’s YouTube channel in 2011.
- Lori Majewski and Jonathan Bernstein’s book Mad World (Oral History of New Wave songs from the 80’s) was released in 2014. If you don’t own a copy, do yourself a favor and get one!
- The Reflex was released as a single in the UK and the US in 1984. Fun fact: I always use this date as my Duranie anniversary as I credit this song with making me a Duranie!
- Girl Panic was released as a 7″ single in 2011.
- In 1993, Duran played at Good Hope Centre in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Durand Duran played at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, CA in 2011.
This week in Duran history did include some beginnings like the release of the Reflex while it also featured some tour endings like the U.S. part of the Astronaut tour. Have a good week, everyone!