How is it mid-August already? Am I the only one who thinks that the summer speeds up once it hits mid-July? I’m not a fan. I am a fan of Duran Duran, though. Let’s take a look at the band’s history during this mid-week of August.
- Duran Duran played at Jones Beach Amphitheater in Long Island, New York, in 1999.
- In 2012, the band played at the Joint in Tulsa in 2012 as part of the All You Need Is Now Tour.
- Duran performed at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland in 1982 as part of the Rio Tour.
- Power Station played at Riverbend Music Center in Cincinnati in 1985.
- In 1987, the band opened for David Bowie at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.
- Duran Duran played the song, Violence of Summer, on the Japanese TV Show, Hit Studio International, in 1990.
- Speaking of TV shows, in 1997, John Taylor hosted VH1’s show, Then and Now.
- Duran opened for Blondie at Canadian National Exhibition Grandstand in Toronto in 1982.
- Much to Nick fans’ utter sadness, Nick Rhodes married Julieanne Friedman on this date in London in 1984. The marriage did not stick as the couple later divorced.
- In 2012, the band performed at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Biloxi. It was the first time Rhonda and I had front row after waiting all day long in line.
- Top of the Pops in the UK aired Duran’s performance of Save a Prayer.
- The band was interviewed on Star 98.7 in Los Angeles in 2004.
- The album, Liberty, was released worldwide in 1990. Happy 31st anniversary/birthday, Liberty!
- Duran Duran played at Polaris Amphitheater in Columbus, Ohio in 2000.
- The song, Save a Prayer, peaked at number 2 in the UK in 1982.
- In 1993, the band played at Park West in Salt Lake City in 1993.
- Duran played at the Durham Performing Arts Center in Durham, North Carolina, in 2012.
Mid-August appears to be a time of the year that Duran has toured. If you look through this week in Duran history, they played shows in 1982, 1987, 1993, 1999, 2000, 2005, and 2012, from what I can remember. Something to remember for future years and tours! Have a good week, everyone!