The end of August is upon us. Fall is officially around the corner while many of us are already doing fall things like drinking pumpkin beverages, dealing with school, and preparing for cooler temperatures. On the Duran front, this week will see another song off the upcoming album. Yes, on Tuesday, we will all be able to check out Anniversary. Based on the 14 seconds that was posted on the band’s social media, people are pretty excited to hear the whole thing! So, what about Duran’s history? Was this week as exciting in the band’s past? Let’s check it out.
- Duran Duran played Hardturm Stadion in Zurich in 1993.
- Simon and Nick visited John in Los Angeles and discussed the reunion in 2000. (That is definitely something to celebrate!)
- Simon was featured in the all-music issue of Vanity Fair magazine in 2003. Anyone have a copy of this?
- The band opened for David Bowie at Olympic Stadium in Montreal in 1987.
- In 2000, Duran performed at the House of Blues in Hollywood, California.
- On this date in 2018, it was announced that Nick scored the soundtrack to the movie, In2ruders, that his daughter, Tatjana, edited. It starred the Bloom Twins.
- Simon Le Bon was best man at the wedding of Bob Geldof and Paula Yates in 1986.
- Duran Duran played at the Fillmore Auditorium in Denver, Colorado in 1999.
- In 2017, the band performed at the Home Festival in Zona Dogana, Treviso, Italy.
- The Liberty album peaked at number 8 in the UK in 1990.
- Notorious, the unauthorized biography, by Steve Malins was published in 2005.
- Duran Duran played at the Old Fire Station in Bournemouth, UK, in 2011. If I remember correctly, this show was part of a series of shows in small venues in preparation of the band returning to touring after Simon lost his voice.
- Top of the Pops aired the band’s “performance” of Save a Prayer in 1982.
- The video for Sunrise was released on the web on this day in 2004.
- In 2016, the band played at Northern Quest Resort and Casino in Airway Heights, Washington.
- John Taylor’s solo album, Meltdown, was released on this date in 1999.
- In 2014, the band played a “secret” show in Monterey, California for Madza. We (Daily Duranie) held an online viewing party.
- Duran Duran played at the Electric Picnic in Stradbelly Hall, Laois, Ireland in 2017.
- Too Much Information, the single, peaked at number 35 in the UK and 45 in US in 1993.
- The Power Station played a show at Clutch Cargo in Detroit, Michigan in 1997.
- In 2015, the band filmed the video for Pressure Off at Black Island Studios in London.
Any event that I missed? Let me know!
Have a good week, everyone!