Before I dive into this week in Duran Duran history, I do want to wish a Happy Mother’s Day to all mothers (of humans and fur babies) out there, including my partner-in-crime! It is often a thankless job but is truly appreciated.
- Careless Memories peaked at number 37 in the UK in 1981.
- In 2000, John Taylor appeared on the TV show, Politically Incorrect.
- Duran Duran played at the Joint in Las Vegas in 2008. Most importantly, Brandon Flowers of the Killers joined the band on stage for the song, Planet Earth.
- John Taylor headlined the 10th UK/European Symposium on Addictive Disorders Conference in London. He spoke about how to recover from addiction in 2013.
- The Rio album was released worldwide in 1982.
- In 2001, dd.com confirmed that Warren was leaving after the Japan dates in June of that year and that the Fab Five would reunite that year.
- Simon LeBon auditioned for Duran Duran in 1980. Oh, how I wish that I was a fly on the wall for that!
- In 1985, Power Station’s song, Some Like It Hot, reached number 6 in the US.
- Andy Taylor confirmed the reunion at andytaylor.com in 2001.
- Simon Le Bon appeared on the Wogan Show in the UK in 1986.
- In 1997, the song, Out of my Mind, was released in the UK.
- Duran Duran recorded appearance in New York for the CBS Saturday Morning show in 2000.
- In 1993, the band played at Arsenio Hall Live 4th Anniversary Show at the Hollywood Bowl.
- Simon LeBon threw out first pitch at Chicago Cubs game in 2008.
- John Taylor wrote the song, Trust the Process, in 1995.
- Duran Duran played at the Rosemont Theater in Chicago in 2008. This show was notable for two reasons. First, Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins joined the band on stage for the song, The Chauffeur. Second, John wore an Obama t-shirt for the encore.
- Hungry Like the Wolf peaked at number 5 in the UK in 1982.
- In 1993, Duran Duran played at Tower Records in Hollywood, California.
Obviously, this week in Duran history included some significant moments from Simon’s audition to the reunion. Which event is your favorite?