The end of April is upon us! As I’m sure you are well-aware, this week showcases a very special birthday. What else took place this week in Duran Duran’s legendary career? Let’s take a look!
- Duran Duran played at Queen’s Hall in Leeds in 1987. This was part of the Strange Behaviour Tour. While the band was promoting the Notorious album, they were also focusing in on Meet el Presidente, the third single.
- In 2011, as part of the All You Need Is Now tour, the band played at Phoenix Concert Theatre in Toronto.
- Roger Taylor did a DJ Set at Spy Bar in Chicago in 2013. Rhonda and I were there. Anyone else?
- Did something important on this day? Is it someone’s birthday? Just kidding! Of course, our favorite drummer was born on this day in 1960. Happy Birthday Roger!!!
- The Rio album went platinum (1 million copies) in the US in 1983. That probably made a pretty memorable birthday for Roger!
- Duran Duran played at Hallam FM Arena in Sheffield in 2004.
- The band performed for Worcester based WXLO radio in 2011. I seem to remember fans being there. Does anyone remember this? Was anyone there?
- The Paper Gods Tour included a show at Sunfest in West Palm Beach, Florida, in 2016.
- The Reflex peaked at number 1 in the UK in 1984.
- Duran Duran played at event for Jerusalem for Reconciliation at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 1991. That is interesting on many levels, especially since the band did not perform live much in 1991.
- The movie, The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas, was released in 2000. John Taylor played Keith Rockhard and had some line about groupies from what I remember. I will have to pull that out and watch it again soon.
April 29: (Happy Birthday to Rhonda’s youngest!)
- Nick Rhodes and John Taylor were interviewed on Jonathan Ross radio show in 2006.
- Duran Duran played at General Motors Place in Vancouver in 2008 as part of the Red Carpet Massacre tour.
- In 1993, the band played at Velez Stadium in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I believe this is the same time that concert footage for the video for Breath After Breath was completed.
- John revealed that Mark Ronson was producing new Duran Duran album in 2009. This album became the All You Need Is Now album.
- Duran Duran played Shibuya Kokaido in Tokyo in 1982.
- Duran Duran performed at Wembley Arena in London, UK in 2004. Scissor Sisters opened the show..
All in all, this was a pretty great week in Duran history, especially with the birthday of Roger Taylor! How will all you be celebrating his birthday?