Happy first week of Summer to everyone in the Northern Hemisphere! Happy Father’s Day to everyone who is a father, in some way, shape, or form and big hugs to those missing their dad on this special occasion. This week in Duran history starts out with another big celebration so let’s dive in.
- In 1960, our favorite bass player and yours, John Taylor, was born. Happy Birthday, John!!! 🥳
- Working for the Skin Trade concert video was released in 1988, showcasing the Strange Behaviour Tour of 1987.
- Duran Duran played at See What Unfolds Live at Terminal 5 in New York City with DJ Steve Aoki in 2012. From what we heard, this was quite an event with birthday cake and more being thrown into the audience.
- Jools Holland interviewed the band in France for UK TV special, A Midsummer Night’s Tube, which included Faith in This Colour in 1983.
- In 1987, the band played at Center Stage Theater in Atlanta.
- John Taylor and Simon LeBon were on the Howard Stern radio show in 1987.
- Duran Duran Universe opened in Second Life in 2011. Anyone on here join this universe? What was your experience like?
- Duran Duran played at Meadowbrook in Cedar Groves, New Jersey in 1982, as part of the tour supporting the Rio album.
- In 1987, The Strange Behaviour Tour brought the band to New York City where they played at Madison Square Garden.
- Duran Duran and others play at KIIS and Unite at the Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in Irvine, CA, USA with guest Melle Mel. It was John’s last live date with the band before his departure in 1995.
- Roger and John do a bunch of interviews including The Wave in South Wales, Swansea Sound Gem in Nottingham, Read Radio in Newcastle, Pure 107 FM in Manchester and Sky News in 2011.
- Duran Duran performed for VH1’s story, Storytellers, in 2000. The show featured artists telling the stories behind the songs before they play them for an audience.
- The episode of the TV show, Samantha Who, that featured John Taylor as a guest star aired in 2009.
- Duran Duran played at Mann Music Center in Philadelphia in 1982.
- John Taylor played at Radio Antenne Bayerne in Stuttgart, Germany, in 1997. It was his first solo live gig.
Lots of good stuff in Duran history this week! What event was your favorite?