I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m struggling to wrap my head around the idea that we are at the end of September and into early October. A big part of me feels like each month lasts four years so I guess I will be glad to call September done. It brings us closer to 2021, right? That’s how I’m choosing to look at it. So what happened during this time period in Duran Duran history? Funny you should ask as I have a list here of some of the more memorable moments. Of course, I just picked out but a few. There are lots more that I didn’t squeeze in!
- The album of Duran Duran covers called Duran Duran Undone was released on this date in 1999. Does anyone have it? Are there worthy covers that I (and others) should check out?
- The song, Sunrise, was released in 2004. (How it is already 16 years ago???)
- Mark Ronson’s album, Record Collection, was released in 2010. It featured Nick and Simon. If you don’t have this album, I highly recommend it.
- The double vinyl edition of Astronaut was released in 2004. I remember watching Good Morning America and seeing people who had it, waving it. I was so jealous. Luckily, I was able to get a copy for myself later. Anyone else have it?
- Duran Duran performed at First Avenue in Minneapolis in 1981. I wish I had attended that show. Actually, I wish I had been to that venue at all. I have been by it but never in it.
- The album, Newer Wave 2.0, was released in 1998. It featured a number of goth, industrial, EBM bands’ covers of 1980s hits. The band Hate Dept. covered Planet Earth.
- Duran Duran performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live in 2015.
- Duran Duran played at the Joint in Las Vegas in 2011.
- I Don’t Want Your Love peaked at number 14 in the UK in 1988.
- Serious was released in the UK in 1990.
- Duran Duran played at the Grand Slam for Children at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2005. I don’t think I screamed as much for four songs ever before or since! I think it was the last time I saw Andy Taylor play with the band as well. ?
- Duran Duran played at the Hollywood Bowl in 2015.
- The Carnival EP was the first time Duran Duran broke the top 100 in the U.S. charts when it hit 98 in 1982.
- Duran Duran received the Q Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003.
- Duran Duran played at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, California, in 2015.
- Duran Duran played at the Columbiahalle in Berlin in 2004.
- Duran Duran played at Agua Caliente in Rancho Mirage, California, in 2015. (Rhonda and I will discuss this show and others on the upcoming Vodka Friday!)
It was quite a week in Duran Duran history. What did I miss that I should have included? Any particular event seem super important?