Welcome to fall, everyone in the Northern Hemisphere! Fall happens to be my favorite season as I love the fall colors here in the Midwest, cooler weather, the introduction of sweaters and boots into my wardrobe and more. Fall tends to also be a big deal in the history of Duranland as many albums have been released in autumn. This year will see another album release! So, how was this particular week in the band’s history? Let’s take a look!
- The video for the single, I Don’t Want Your Love, premiered on MTV in 1988. I think I have that premiere on videotape somewhere!
- Robert Palmer died suddenly in France in 2003.
- Correspondencia, a project made by John Taylor and Mexican visual artist, Laureana Toledo, premiered at the Abstract Cabinet Show located at the Eastside Projects in Birmingham, UK in 2009. It was shown until November 8th.
- Duran Duran played at St. Andrews in Detroit in 1981.
- The single, (Reach Up for the)Sunrise, was released in 2004.
- Mark Ronson’s album, Record Collection, was released in the UK in 2010 and featured Simon and Nick.
- In 1982, the band played at the House of Culture in Helsinki, Finland.
- Power Station played at the Supper Club in New York City in 1997.
- The limited edition double vinyl of Astronaut was released in the US in 2004. Anyone own a copy of that?
- The compilation album, Newer Wave 2.0, was released with cover of Planet Earth by the band, Hate Dept., in 1998.
- John Taylor played at the Viper Room in Hollywood in 1999.
- In 2015, Duran Duran performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live in Hollywood.
- Duran Duran played at Parkwest in Chicago in 1981.
- Neurotic Outsiders played at the Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas in 1995.
- In 2011, the band played at the Joint in Las Vegas as part of the All You Need Is Now Tour.
- The single, Serious, was released in the UK in 1990.
- Duran Duran played at the Grand Slam for Children charity event at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2005.
- In 2015, as part of a promotion tour for Paper Gods, the band performed at the Hollywood Bowl.
- The Carnival EP reached 98 in the US and was the first Duran record to break the Top 100 in the US in 1982.
- The band received the Q Lifetime Achievement Award in 2003.
- In 2015, the band played at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, California.
What event did I miss? It seems to me that a lot of these events were either in Hollywood, California, or Las Vegas, Nevada, which is fascinating. Anyway, if you attended any of these, please share!
Have a good week, everyone!